Monday, August 1, 2011

Maison Rana at Paris & NY Fashion Weeks.

She listens to stories behind each and every painting and translates the emotions and vibrance of each piece into wearable Art...Minimal lines, carefully assigned stripes and just the tiniest hint of drama via sleek cuts are all elements proposed with elegance in her collection. Rana Al-Basri Mouawad is the talent behind the Art inspired Fashion brand Maison Rana determined to inspire us with her vision.
Here's my exclusive interview with a rising fashion designer, a brilliant artist and a confident woman.
Tell us a bit about your background and how you got involved in the fashion biz?

My background is all about marketing, communication and advertising… but my passion for style and fashion started with me at a young age, following my mother as she stylishly picked pieces, didn’t accept the status quo when it came to my wardrobe and always amended things into something new, and designed dresses for friends and family…
In 2009, I decided to follow my dream and start a new chapter in my life. So, I quit my day-job and dedicated my time to building this new label, creating new designs, and marrying my l
ove for art into fashion, to create unique special pieces.

What or who inspired you to become a fashion designer?

My family, my husband, and my amazing friends

When did you launch your label?
In 2010
What do you love the most about what you do?
Getting all sort of ideas, cuts, twists of material and designs, by looking at an art piece or a photo or when visiting a beautiful city. Beautiful things inspire me.

How would you describe your Journey until now?
A dream come true. A continuous challenge. A humbling experience when I see one of my designs worn by someone. 
Since the Birth of your label, what has been your most memorable moment?
Hanging my designs on the racks preparing for the launch private preview event… I was walking on air… excited, super happy, nervous, tired, all in one! Will never forget that feeling.
What's your most valuable lesson so far?
To listen to my inner voice when I’m not convinced about a piece or a detail and to listen to constructive feedback from friends and family.


What would you say was the most difficult aspect in starting your label in the Middle East?

 
There are many talents and beautiful designers in our region, so finding a door into boutique buyers, earning that trust, and pushing the designs into more hands is always a challenge for any designer.



What are the main advantages that set you apart from the competition?
I believe that it is the fact that my designs come with a story every season and they are perfect from day to night. They are unique, and fit for any woman who wants to stand out. 

What's next for you?
Am glad to announce that am Participating at Paris Fashion Week & NY Fashion Week launching the S/S2012 collection this September and sharing it with you all including a sneak peak of my "Carnival" collection, photoshoot making of exclusively for Glams by Chantal and the blog fans below!

In your opinion, what are the do's and don'ts in style?
I think it is important for any woman to find and know and be true to her own sense of style. She is unique in her own way, and this is a big “do” for me. If she sticks to that, she will not fall into the trap of random copycat styling, which is my “don’t”.


Visit the online store for 50% discount on selected items. www.maisonrana.com


1 comment:

Rabih Naamani said...

Nice article Chantal

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...